- 1 Product Overview
- 2 Product General
- 3 Products Data
- 4 Products Links
- 5 Product Attributes
- 6 Product Options
- 7 Product Discount
- 8 Product Special
- 9 Product Images
- 10 Products Reward Points
- 11 Product Design
Products in the administration
Products are the bread and butter of the average OpenCart store. Therefore, it is essential that you learn how to manage your store’s product inventory using the OpenCart administration side. Before adding products, you must make sure that you have all the necessary information about the product you are adding to the store. To get detailed information of your products to your customer, OpenCart requires this information to be gathered beforehand. The more information given to OpenCart about a specific product, the more informed the customer will be about that particular product when purchasing it from your store.
The Product section, accessed under Catalog, will display all the products available in the store.
Every row of product will contain the following information:
- Product Name
- Status: Selecting “Enabled” lets the product be visible in the store’s store front. Selecting “Disabled” will remove the product from view.
Checking an individual box in the first column will select the product information within the same row. Once selected, you can choose to “Copy” or “Delete” the product. “Copy” will duplicate the product and it’s information categories. “Delete” will remove the product selection (including its information) completely.
If you would like to look up a product in the product list, you can use “Filter” as a shortcut to search for it. For more information on the Filter tool, visit Filter. Pressing “Insert” in the top right corner will direct the administrator to a form to add new products.
Managing and adding products in the catalog
The complete list of store products can be found under Catalog > Products. If this is your first time in the Product section, you will notice the default products left over from the installation. These products can be used to experiment with and explore the OpenCart features before launching your store. You will eventually need to delete these products to make room for your store’s products.
To delete the default products:
- Check the box left of the “Image column” in the list. This should select all the products on the page.
- Click the “Delete” button on the top right side.
- Press “OK” when a window pops up asking “Delete/Install cannot be undone! Are you sure you want to do this?”.
There should now be a blank list to add individual products to. The “Insert” button directs the administrator to a page requiring product information under the following tabs:
Before products are added to the administration, product categories must already be established by the administrator. See Categories before continuing with this section. With the product categories created, products are now ready to be added to the catalog.
Saving the product
At this point in the guide, you will have completed all the steps and filled out all the appropriate information for the product. To complete the process of adding this product, click “Save”. When you return to the Products page under Catalog, you will now see this product listed. You can choose to modify any of this information included above, at any time, by clicking “Edit” across from the product.
The format of the General tab is identical to the General tab when creating a product category, with the addition of the Product Tags feature:
- Product Name
- Meta Tag Description: A summary to describe the product page to search engines.
- Meta Tag Keywords: Similar to meta tag description, but asks for a single keyword to describe the product.
- Description: Text that will describe this product on the product page, to be viewed by the customers in the store front of the shop.
- Product Tags: A tag to describe the product to the customers. If a customer types in this tag in the search box found in the header, the product will be displayed in the search results.
The data tab includes all the product criteria that will be included on the product page in the store front for customers to view:
Fill in the spaces above with the following information:
- Model: create a model number for the product using a combination of letters and numbers. (required)
- SKU (stock keeping unit): a random code for the product.
- UPC (universal product code): the product’s unique barcode.
- Location: where the product is located.
- Price: set a price for the product.
- Tax Class: select a tax class category on this product that was made Settings > Localisation > Tax Classes. This will apply the tax in the checkout for the product. Select “None” if taxes will not be applied to this product.
- Quantity: The total amount available in the store for this specific product.
- Minimum Quantity: the minimum amount of product a customer must reach to add that product to their Shopping Cart.
- Subtract Stock: “Yes” will subtract stock from the quantity of the product (Ex: If there are 100 computers, and a customer buys 2 computers, Subtract Stock will change the quantity to 98).
- Out of Stock Status: select “Out of Stock”, “In Stock”, “2-3 days”, or “Preorder” as the message shown on the product page when the product’s quantity reaches 0.
- Requires Shipping: If the product requires shipping, select “Yes”. If not, select “No”.
- SEO keyword: create a keyword for search engine optimization of this product. It will be seen in the URL of the product page. Therefore, the keyword created must be unique for every product.
- Image: clicking “Browse Folders” will lead the administrator to the Image manager to upload a new image.
- Date Available: the date when this product will become available for purchase.
- Dimensions: enter the length by width by height of the product if there are dimensions to include.
- Length Class: determines the metric units for the dimensions above.
- Weight: Enter a number for the weight.
- Weight Class: Specify the units of weight for the number entered into “Weight”.
- Status: Enabling makes the product publicly available in the store. Disabling allows the product to be edited in the administration , but hides it from the store front .
- Sort Order: When the product is sorted in a list, a number assigns it a priority. A product with a sorting order or 2 will be placed higher than a product with a sorting order of 3, but lower than a product with a sorting order of 1.